Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kate Nash - My Best Friend Is You

Paul's Choice:
Kate Nash - My Best Friend Is You
Friend Review:
First off, sorry about the lateness in this review, this past week was kinda crazy for me and well, yeah, I’m just glad it’s over with because it was really stressful but up ahead I see good times so yay!
Mmmmmk, so let’s get to the album…
Alright, so the only other thing I heard from Kate Nash was her debut album “Made of Bricks” and I gotta say, that album was about as average as average can get. I’m not sure if ever even got through the entire album, every song dragged on and there were only two memorable ones, “Foundations” and “Mouth Wash” which I still enjoy listening despite how long they are. But, the one thing I saw in this album was potential! Kate Nash has great vocals and great songwriting ability, I felt like everything was just poorly executed in Made of Bricks. Because of the potential, I knew future releases could be awesome which is why I was looking forward to this album.
I think I’ve listened to this album about three times and the reason for that is that this album can be played in any situation. Whether it be driving in the car, pouting after dropping ice cream, or happy because you’re playing Super Mario Bros. 3, you can always put on this album and feel satisfied. It just has that sound to it that can fit anywhere. Kate Nash is of course the center of attention, and this is not a bad thing because she has one of the sweetest voices in all of music I think. But besides her, the instrumentation of this album is nothing short of fantastic. They give a sweet subtlety to the album without overpowering Kate Nash. As far as pop goes, I’m not sure when the last time I listened to an album as good as this one, probably Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin’s Pershing (they have a new album coming out in August, expect a review about it then!, but I digress…). If you just need to have fun and dance, there’s not a better album out there for you. Being one of the most gorgeous women on the planet (although one of our readers is more so…) and having one of the best voices in today’s music, Kate Nash is a force to be reckoned with in the scene today and this album is hard proof of that.


Friend Rating:
7.9

Hipster Review:
I'm not wild about a lot of singer-songwriters, especially those who try to make their music sound as precocious as possible (I'm looking at you, Regina Spektor). Kate Nash is one these lasses, which is why when Paul assigned this album I wasn't exactly psyched out of my mind. But I was pleasantly surprised with My Best Friend Is You; which isn't to say that I think that this is a wonderful album, but it definitely doesn't totally suck. The opener definitely didn't allay my initial suspicions, as Nash's singing and the candy-sweet production was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. While it wasn't terrible, as she made the song interesting enough (she's a pretty thoughtful lyricist), that kind of stuff really just isn't my thing. But around the time song three rolled around I found myself actually enjoying the experience. The fourth track, "I Just Love You More," is (kinda) reminiscent of The Fall, with it's repetitive, almost post-punk-like song structure and off-the-wall kookiness; I found it to be one of my favorite songs on the album. And "Do-Wah-Doo," a surf-rock nugget, also reflects the more interesting aspects of the album. But not everything here is all that great; "Pickpocket" gallops through Regina Spektor territory, and the majority of the songs on the album, even the ones that contain the album's really interesting ideas, are just way too sweet and precious for my taste. Overall, it's a decent album, though nothing too special in my opinion. If you're into the kind of things that I mentioned above, you'll definitely enjoy this album. But for me, I'll just take that one relatively enjoyable experience I had with the album and call it a day.

Hipster Rating:
7.1

Coming up on Sunday, "Swim" by Caribou!

0 comments:

Post a Comment