Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Junip - Fields

Paul's Choice:
Junip - Fields

Friend Review:
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS BAND OR ALBUM I JUST CHOSE. Since being in college, I’ve found that I’m very lost in the sense of music releases and stuff. So when in a jam I’ll just try to find one album that has come out recently and use that as my choice. The good thing about this is there’s some kind of excitement in listening to an album that you know nothing about and since you don’t really know what it’s about, it’s like going into uncharted waters, it might be the most amazing album ever and you don’t even know about it. I found some of my very favorite bands by randomly choosing to check them out (The Rural Alberta Advantage and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, namely). Sadly, there’s also a counterpart to randomly choosing an album because it might just be something you hate. Place yourself in this situation, if you will: a market opens down the street from you, and you think, awesome, maybe they’ll have some berries and cherries I can eat. So you go down to the market and look around, and it turns out all they have is avocados. Ladies and gentlemen, Fields by Junip is a giant avocado.
I started listening to this album while working on calculus homework, and after three songs I was utterly bored. So bored that I had to write on Taylor’s Facebook telling him I was bored (if you’re not friends with us on Facebook, you should be! I’ll try to put up some links or something). There’s not much I can say to describe this music except that it’s dull. The instrumentation feels very repetitive. Usually if one instrument has a boring part it makes another instrument standout but it really sounds like a huge drone. What tops the cake for me though are the vocals. There’s simply no variation in them from song to song, it’s just really bland. I don’t feel like there is any individual song that stands out on this album, or really anything. It just feels like reading the same boring passage of a book over and over again. It’s boring. I think I’ve made my point.

Friend Rating:
4.8

Hipster Review:
Modern folk is kinda shaky ground for me. If a folk artist wants to get my attention, he or she has to shake the roots of the genre instead of doing the same, safe old thing, wading in the tepid pool of worn-out cliches. There's a handful that stick out (Devendra Banhart, Sufjan Stevens, Tallest Man On Earth, etc.), but overall it's a scene that I generally have little interest in.
So out of nowhere comes Junip, an indie-folk group that coats their acoustic compositions in electronic ambience in their debut(?) LP, Fields. Something on the album that really caught my attention- something that I didn't expect at all- was the beats. One can't accuse Junip's songs of lacking dynamics, as each of these eleven songs are arranged very differently from the last (there's even a bit of krautrock in "Rope & Summit"). It makes for an interesting experience for sure, and there's definitely a lot here that will pull listeners in for something truly unique. But the album does begin to drag near the end, with the compositions growing less inspired and more tossed off. But overall I found this album to be quite enjoyable, and I'm wondering where Junip are going to find themselves in the coming years. Fans of indie folk with definitely enjoy this, little doubt. It's far from excellent, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Hipster Rating:
7.5




Coming up next, Lisbon by The Walkmen!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hipster, you hit the nail on the head: "Fans of indie folk will definitely enjoy this." This album is unquestionably not for everybody, and something you really need to be in the mood to relish.

As an avid fan of folk rock, I am totally enamored with this EP.

For me, the album on a whole was a brilliant sort of kaleidoscopic variance of sound. The instrumental build in "At the Doors" was invigoratingly suspenseful. "Loops" really spoke to me. It was captivating and introspective. Gonzalez sounds a lot like Paul McCartney in that one, whom I think, has one of the sexiest male voices in music next to Morrison.

Don't know if you guys are familiar with Elliott Smith, but he was like the demi-god of indie/folk rock, and someone I strongly recommend getting into if unfamiliar, although I'm sure you guys are. He is my all-time favorite musician.

Anonymous said...

And one more thing...

I really enjoyed watching your cover of "I Saw Her Standing There." From listening to your sound, I can tell you guys practice a lot, and it really paid off. The chord progressions and drumming arrangements are impeccable.

I was a HUGE Beatles fan throughout my teens, and I love that you do Beatles covers alongside your own material. Your band name is cool too. Really awesome job. You guys give meaning to raw talent.

Hipster said...

It was an interesting and pleasant experience, and while I didn't think it was fantastic, it was nevertheless enjoyable. On Elliott Smith, I have been enjoying his music for quite some time. Thanks for bringing him up, hopefully someone will read your comments and look into his music.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad that you enjoy our music, and that you even looked up our videos. Your compliments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for commenting, Lianna!
- Taylor, aka "Hipster"

Anonymous said...

Smith was the shit. That man was insanely prolific in the 10 years he was active. His albums "New Moon" and "Either/Or" are BOMB!

Hipster said...

Prolific without being indulgent; a rare quality in musicians. I assume that you're also familiar with Nick Drake?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Smith was an extremely humble talent. Nick Drake, word. Yeah, I'm familiar. Sometimes I feel like Smith was like Drake reincarnated, they were so much alike. Pink Moon was an AWESOME album. His first album was my favorite, though. "Saturday Sun" was one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. That and Smith's "New Disaster."

Anonymous said...

I just realized, both their albums had the word "Moon" in it. That's so cool. I don't know about Drake, but I know there was some sort of significance of the moon to Smith, I just forgot what it was...it says it inside the booklet of the CD...

And if I might add, as much as I'm a fan of Drake, no other artist will ever top my love for Elliott Smith. His music speaks to me like no other. And when my mom hears me listening to him she says, "Why are you listening to this depressing music all the time," and I'd tell her: "Because it's meaningful." Yes, most of it is about heartbreak, drinking and...heartbreak, (lol) but I can't get enough of it. It's not that I'm depressed, it's just soothing to listen to, and the kind of music I enjoy. Sorry, mom, if I'm uncool because I don't enjoy mainstream dance; that's just not who I am.

I've heard about 95% of his songs, which is a lot, and there's always like another song that I randomly discover that I haven't heard that just brightens up my day. I get excited! Words can't express my love for that man's music. This douche bag guy who I interviewed for artist of the week for my college newspaper last year turned me on to him, and the rest is history basically.

And it's not the fuckin aestheics of his music I'm after... it's the meaning behind the lyrics that I love so much. When evaluating art and deciding whether or not to appreciate it, some people are lured by its aesthetics, its sound. I value the meaning tied to it more than the melody...the vibe. And Elliott Smith's music epitomizes everything I look for in my standard of good music. Genious.

Hipster said...

Indeed. Man, as much as I enjoy Smith's music, it's clear that you are far more passionate about your love of his work. Kinda like how Radiohead is for me, but I won't go into that now...
I'm really glad that you enjoy our blog so much as to post such lengthy and passion-filled comments! Props be to you, Lianna.

Anonymous said...

hahaha. Let me tell you something...you are speaking to a writer and an aspiring music journalist! I can go on for hours and pages about music. My apologies. lol. This blog has attracted a writer, you'll just have to put up with me when I comment :)

In reference to the length, I feel like I want to leave a substantial comment, and not just a one-liner like, "yeah, I loved the album," or "yeah, it sucked." You know? I'm a writer, it's my duty to write more. You guys work hard on these reviews, and I feel obliged to leave a nice, ample comment given that I am momentarily, the only commenter on this blog. And I don't mind at all reading them. It's fun for me.

And yes, I could go on about Radiohead too. Love them. To be terse, I must leave just this: a critic made the analogy that the Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is to Radiohead's Ok Computer, only better. When I heard that, I wanted to throw up in my mouth. NO comparison. The Surburbs is a stellar album, and I think it was cool that they even compressed a 12-inch laquer on the finished songs to make it sound like a vinyl, but to compare that to Ok Computer? I think not.

Okay, rambling. Sorry. That's all I had to say about that, on the subject of Radiohead.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and about Elliott Smith. I'm a girl, so of course, his music means more, just because girls are more sensitive I guess.

Hipster said...

I have to agree with you on The Suburbs business haha.
And "ramble" all you want, it's much better than no one commenting at all, and I actually find your comments interesting.
I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say on future reviews.

Anonymous said...

"Interesting." I've heard that before. lol.
Thanks.

I actually write reviews too. I freelance for this website, Suite101.com, in the midst of finding a writing job. I attached a link to my articles. I thought you might enjoy them too, as much as I enjoy reading yours.

http://www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/liannaa

Post a Comment