Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Belle and Sebastian - Belle and Sebastian Write about Love

Paul's Choice:
Belle and Sebastian - Belle and Sebastian Write about Love

Friend Review:
When I was originally listening to this album, I was trying to think of adjectives that I could use to describe it in the review. So here they are: cute and pleasant. And if you don’t think that describes this album you don’t know shit about music. But anyways, Belle and Sebastian Write about Love is about as accurate of an album title as you could ask for. When you’re sleeping next to your girlfriend and you’re alarm goes off, but you don’t want to get out of bed, this is the album that you put on. There’s nothing too daring or drastic about this album, it’s simple pop songs. BUT, that doesn’t mean this album isn’t enjoyable, especially if you’re a previous B&S fan. I personally am not a fan of Norah Jones’ inclusion on the album, but aside from that I really can’t think of anything to complain about. It’s cute, it’s simple, and it’s fun. From the jumpy twangy sound of “I’m Not Living In The Real World” to the badassness of “I Want The World To Stop” (DAT BASS), this album can keep any indie pop fan entertained.

Friend Rating:
7.8

Hipster Review:
After hearing If You're Feeling Sinister for the first time two years ago, I have had a special place in my heart for the Scottish indie band Belle & Sebastian. Their talent of stringing melodies together to create a brilliantly simple pop song is nothing short of genius, and they have plenty of classic albums under their belt (ignoring the dull Fold Your Hands Child You Look Like a Peasant) to ensure their placement in the canon of history's greatest pop groups.
After their last proper LP The Life Pursuit saw the group experimenting with and expanding their sound (with excellent results), the band took a bit of a detour with the side project God Help The Girl, a girl group-esque album that retained the band's signature pop sound while exploring new dynamics. It was a decent album, though definitely not up to par with what they had done before (it was, however, a lot better than Fold your Hands).
Write About Love explores the ground that was paved by The Life Pursuit, but also partially carries the girl group-dynamic present in God Help The Girl. It's a slightly disappointing record, but only slightly. There are a lot of good songs; in fact, pretty much every song here is good. The only problem is that none are great. There were a lot of times while listening where I felt like the songs either did too much or too little; there wasn't that structural balance that's present on pretty much every other album they've done. Though to be fair, one can't knock them for not making another Sinister (that's only slightly more likely than Weezer making another Blue Album... but I won't get into that now). And like I said, it's not a bad album by any means. It's a worthy entry into their discography, and definitely one of the year's most pleasant pop albums. Overall, Write About Love presents a more accessible, streamlined Belle & Sebastian. And that's better than none at all.

Hipster Rating:
7.9




Coming up next, Apollo Kids by Ghostface Killah!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this band, but after watching the video, I think they're kinda cool. For a split second, they kinda reminded me of the Cure's "Just Like Heaven" at the start. Cool video selection, too. Nothin' like good live music :)

Taylor said...

I'm surprised you haven't heard of them before! They've been around since the 90's. If you're looking for some good pop music I highly recommend that you check out If You're Feeling Sinister. That record is fantastic :D

Anonymous said...

:) Well, unlike you, I'm not as abreast of all the best bands, especially indie bands. You're like a musical encyclopedia. :P

Let me digress for a sec: I can't stand these fucking emoticons! I can't believe I can't speak to you in person. Geez. Maybe when you and the guys tour Jersey someday. And one more thing off topic, you're gonna laugh. Every time I'm watching a show on TV and the people profiled are from Texas, I always laugh because I think to myself, "Those guys I know from the blog are from there!" lol ;P On the show "My Fair Wedding," they were in Downtown Dallas, and I was like, "Oh, shit, that's where Be At Leso play gigs! haha. Coolies.

Anyway, back to the album. I just heard some of the songs off "If You're Feeling Sinister," and I felt all giddy. He sounds just like Nick Drake! :) I can so understand why you'd love this album. Just from interviewing you, hearing your music and seeing your album choices, I have a pretty firm grasp of your taste. This album is very you, I'd say.

I really like the title track a lot, and the song "Seeing Other People" was among my favorites. I love the infused piano in that one. Some of the songs sound very '90s, and that decade is my number one favorite in music next to the '60s.

I am really intrigued by the scope of his writing. It's very Elliott Smith, and you know how much I just love him. I was thinking about Smith this morning. Belle and Sebastian's songwriting reminds me of yours.

There's one thing I was very curious about when I interviewed you a couple months back, on the subject of songwriting. Your song "People," I remember you said, was inspired by your disgust with the average person's tendencies. I always wanted to ask you, what did you mean by that? Can you expound on the lyrics? I was always interested in asking you that. When I first sat down to write the piece on your band, I was considering adding that part in, but in the end, I felt like it strayed too much from my chosen angle. Can you talk about that song? I'd love to hear your analysis on its meaning.

Taylor said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! That's one of my favorite albums.

Hahaha I wish. If we get any shows outside of Dallas, we'll know we're at going somewhere. Outside of home, at least.

Umm, I'd hate to let you down, but I don't know if I can really expound on that song here... in this context at least. Some other time and place though, I'd gladly like to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

email me

Anonymous said...

...if you want. I just thought it sounded really interesting, idk. lol I wish I would have asked during the interview, but again, that part didnt make the cut.

April is the big Nirvana exhibit. I'm tentatively going. I'm really, really excited!!!

Taylor said...

Sure thing!

You lucky dog.

Anonymous said...

:P I live waaayy farther away from Seattle than you do, and I'm going. You should go! You live closer.

This is undeniably the music event of the century. I'll have work, but I'm going to take off that week cause I ain't missin this. The exhibit runs for two years, but I want to go as soon as it opens. I'll probably blog about it, so you can see pics.

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I
find this topic to be really something which I
think I would never understand. It seems too
complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get
the hang of it!

Here is my blog :: orquesta atraccion

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
reading it, you can be a great author.I will remember
to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the foreseeable future.

I want to encourage continue your great job, have a
nice afternoon!

My web-site ... how to get pregnant

Post a Comment