Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mystery Jets - Serotonin

Paul's Choice:
Mystery Jets - Serotonin

Friend Review:
So Taylor is finally back in town which makes me happy because I missed him and we can finally get back to reviewing! Anyways, today (well, it may be passed by the time this gets posted) is a special day because it is Ringo Starr’s birthday! He may not be the greatest drummer that ever existed but he’s the drummer of the greatest band that ever existed! And for that he should be commemorated, so in his honor I’m watching “A Hard Day’s Night”. Feels good, man.
On to the album then! Mystery Jets have always been kind of a favorite band of mine simply because you know how you find that band by yourself and then you get to introduce them to your friends so you feel cool? That’s how these guys were for me. I found their video for “Young Love” randomly on YouTube and show it to my buddy Sofia and I said something like, “These guys are cool.” And then I think she said something like, “Yeah, you’re right.” And… yeah, that’s about it. Their debut album Twenty-One was good so I was pretty interested in this album.
The album opens up with “Alice Springs” which I think is Mystery Jets’ best song to date and overall simply an amazing song. Besides this, nothing is really noteworthy of the album. It’s very slow-paced and there’s no really song that will get stuck in your head such as “Young Love”. Mystery Jets have always had an 80’s vibe attached to them and there are times in this album where it becomes increasingly annoying. Synth lines can be cliché nothing particularly grooves in the album. If you are interested in this band, I highly suggest you listen to Twenty One before giving Serotonin a listen as this appears to be a miscue for Mystery Jets.

Friend Rating:
5.4

Hipster Review:
I've never checked out Mystery Jets before this, and was looking forward to listening to them when Paul picked Serotonin for our next review. Although that album cover is kind of a red flag, I was open-minded while listening to the music. It's not bad... not great, but not terrible either.
Many of the songs here, despite the band's rock vibe, are strongly pop-minded; a lot of them reminded me of Phoneix, like my personal favorite "Lady Grey". Which isn't to say that Mystery Jets are master song crafters; in fact, they come off a bit uninspired at times. Sometimes there's too much fluff in the songs, like synths that appear for no real reason and kind of take away from the substance in the song. There's not a lot of soul in the album, and most of it just feels like bunch of guys making poppy rock music, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are a few pretty good songs on here, but honestly I wasn't too taken by the album as a whole; It's decent enough, but definitely not something that's particularly gripping. It gives me a vibe similar to the one I get from bands like The Kooks, but thankfully Serotonin isn't nearly that crappy. I don't mean to sound like Friend, but in this case I don't have much else except this to say:
It's alright.
Some will dig it, others won't; such is life. I didn't hate it, but I didn't dig it either.

Hipster Rating:
5.5


Coming up next, Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty [sic] by Big Boi!

0 comments:

Post a Comment