Sunday, August 29, 2010

Best Coast - Crazy For You

Paul's Choice:
Best Coast - Crazy For You

Friend Review:
Hey guys! Sorry for all the delay, this Sunday I moved into my dorm at Texas A&M University! So woo for that, but the downside is I’ve been really really busy since I moved. So unfortunately, updates may be a bit more sparse now, but I’m gonna try my best to keep my grades up while still staying in touch with the world of music!

But anyways, I first listened to this album before I actually went to college and all I could really think was, “Blah.” But that was a while ago, so I gave it another listen today. For the first few songs, I was actually surprised (“Boyfriend” and “Crazy For You” are golden) and was planning on changing my rating to something better than originally intended. But after the first four tracks, everything gets really boring really fast. The one thing I absolutely love love love about this album is the lyrics. Very simple, while still creative, and they can get the point across so yippee for that. I also think that’s the first time I’ve used yippee on this blog so yippee for yippee. But oh right, I should be talking about the music… Well, it’s just a slow-paced album, all the songs have very similar tempos and overall there’s just not enough to keep a casual listener interested. Best Coast has potential, but there definitely needs to be a lot of improvement before I become a fan. Each track on its own is decent enough, but listening to the album as a whole is just a big dull dud. Also, put another tally on the count for “Hipster Albums With Absolutely Awful Cover Art” (yes, there is a count). I don’t care how much you like cats, Miss Cosentino, drop your joint long enough to realize that crap suuuuuucks.

Friend Rating:
6.7

Hipster Review:
Best Coast is a relatively new group (they're about a year old) who has gathered a sizable following with a string of EPs and catchy singles. They follow in the lo-fi movement, alongside such groups as Wavves, and when you're part of a grouping such as this, it is of the utmost importance that you find some way of distinguishing yourself in order to keep yourself from just blending in with your peers. Gladly, Best Coast takes a more relaxed, chill vibe to their songwriting, which makes the music more accessible. The band is clearly inspired musically by 60's pop music, which contrasts effectively against frontwoman Bethany Cosentino's drowsy vocal delivery. So what you have here is a nice, fun, reverb-soaked summer garage pop record. And it's pretty good; however, I'm just not all that crazy about it. I mean, its good, and there's not anything terribly wrong with it. It's just a bit samey at times; too often I found myself not noticing a song going into the next, as a song would just kinda drifted right into the other without much change. But it's not bad by any means; if love 60's pop, the current trend of lo-fi rock, or if you just like some sunny music with a healthy dose of distortion, you'll dig this.

Hipster Rating:
8.0




Coming up next, Interpol!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment