Monday, June 21, 2010

Tokyo Police Club - Champ

Paul's Choice:
Tokyo Police Club - Champ

Friend Review:
So Tokyo Police Club is playing tonight in Dallas, and unfortunately the show is sold out, but it’s all good, I need to save money anyways. But I will regret not seeing them because their latest album, Champ, really is a simply fun album to listen to. I saw Tokyo Police Club a couple years back when they opened up for Weezer and they really put on a great set. The interesting about Champ is that it doesn’t really have one gem of a song that stands above all the others. Instead, this is an album that really sounds best as a package. Instead, all of the songs flow together to create a simply peaceful sound. This album is just about perfect for casual listening. If you’re ever in need to simply break the silence, there are not many that can fit the bill better than Champ. It’s an album that doesn’t pretend to be something it’s not, it’s simple indie rock at its best, the way it should be. The instrumentation is subtle as there’s nothing really outstanding about it, but it’s still a pleasure with infectious synth lines and perfect-for-the-situation guitar playing. Everything is much calmer than their last album Elephant Shell and past EPs, but it’s a change that goes over okay for the band. This album is fun and easy in the simplest terms, and good way for anyone to reach into today’s indie rock.

Friend Rating:
8.3

Hipster Review:
I'm not terribly familiar with Tokyo Police Club; this is my first exposure to one of their full-length records. But I know enough about them to know that they aren't my type of thing, as I've heard a few songs from their debut LP Elephant Shell that failed to impress me. Which is surprising that I actually enjoyed my experience with Champ a lot more than I thought I would. It's nothing mind-blowing or revolutionary; it's just a fun, safe alt/indie rock album with a few more surprises than you'd expect. The biggest one I found was the band's frequent use of electronic guitar effects, which add more oomph and intrigue to the overall sound. Also, the band as it turns out is quite well-versed in song structure; the music is quite realized and developed, despite the fact that more often than not the lyrics are pretty undercooked and lack depth. Although there are few complaints I have with the album, there's nothing all that special about it as far as I can hear. But It is fun and well-made, no doubt about that, and I'm sure many people will find it quite enjoyable.

Hipster Rating:
7.5


Coming up next, Expo 86 by Wolf Parade!

0 comments:

Post a Comment